header
shadow2
 

 

shadow6
 

History of John Moseley House
John Moseley built the main house between 1818 and 1822 on 10 acres of land given to him by his mother. John, the son of Colonel Increase (IV) and Patience Moseley, was born October 29, 1775 and was married twice, first to Molly Matilda Graham, who died in 1810 and then to Rebecca B. Brinsmade. According to a written account by Selena Hinman Aston, the lumber including the chestnut timbers was personally selected by John Moseley in Maine and brought by boat and ox cart to Southbury. Records indicate that John followed in his fathers footsteps as State Representative; he was also the first paid town clerk of Southbury. John lived at Oldfield long enough to celebrate his 100th birthday marked by a parade in his honor including a "Band from Pomperaug". Upon his death, in 1876, the property was sold to Grant A. Wheeler. William Moseley purchased it in 1878 and in 1889 the title passed to John G. Moseley and Maria C. Hinman. In 1902 the title passed to Selena Hinman Aston, wife of Admiral Ralph Aston. Her son, Albert Aston, acquired it from her estate in 1924.
 

The rear section of the house has a history of its own, having been moved from across the street. It is believed that building was an inn or store operated by Captain Timothy Hinman, father of Patience Hinman Moseley when Rochambeau marched from Newport, Rhode Island to Yorktown, Virginia. In 1902 this one story structure was raised to two stories and attached to the main house.

In 1976, the house was purchased by Lascadia (Anthony) R. Pollmon. Mr.. Pollmon subdivided the property into two lots and built his own home to the rear of the property. "Oldfield" was then transferred to the Wilsons who were relatives of the Polmons, but they never lived in the house. Joe Taddia and his wife Barbara Secor purchased it in 1983. During this time they restored much of the house while adding a swimming pool and a flag stone patio.




In 1997, Jennifer Thurston purchased the home with the express purpose of converting it to 'Cornucopia at Oldfield Bed and Breakfast'. Private bathrooms were added as was central air conditioning. The gardens were replanted with a wide assortment of perennials. The home was purchased in 2000 by Dave and Sue Andros who continued to operate the bed and breakfast until they moved away from the area.

Christine and Ed Edelson are now the proud owners as well as innkeepers, having bought the home in late 2004. Since then, they have made many improvements including extensive decorating, remodeling the kitchen while keeping the original chestnut floors and adding features like a guest refreshment area. The exterior of the house and barn have been repainted and the grounds are flourishing with their care. They have also become a vital part of the community through their involvement in the Southbury Historic Society, Southbury Historic District Commission and the Woodbury Woman's Club.

This Wallace Nutting photo of John Moseley House fireplace is dated 1910. The Fireplace with its wood trim, maple sugar cupboard remains the same today.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If these walls could speak, I would hear resounding thank yous for the care you have taken to preserve and respect the years of aughter and love of the Moseley's and all who have walked these floors. Your hospitality is surpassed by none in our experience with B&B's.


Kathy and Mike, November 2009

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It was one of the best days of our trip to US!! Nice to meet Cornell Alumni friends in CT. Many thanks for your great hospitality at Cornucopia. Look forward to another opportunity to meet in the future.

Mihoko and Koei Ambe, Japan June, 2005

782 Main Street North, Southbury, CT 06488 - Tel. 203-267-6772 - Email: innkeeper@cornucopiabnb.com